Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Mastering Macarons

 Orange Colored Macaron Shells Waiting for a Tasty Filling

I love teaching pastry, not only because its fun to share and meet new people, but because it also keeps teaching me.  Two of the classes I teach are on what most people would consider the 2 most difficult French pastries to master; The Croissant and the Macaron.  Believe it or not, I actually tell my students in both classes, it's NOT THAT Difficult.  I like to compare it to riding a bike, you just have to get the technique down.  The first couple of times I made Macarons, they were a disaster.  Ok, not completely, but they were less then perfect.  Now after making them many times over, I feel like they get better each time.

I laugh at myself when I think about the very first time I made French Macarons. They were to take a on trip to London to give to my French boyfriend (now husband, so they obviously were not that bad).  I had never tasted one, I knew nothing about them other then information I read on a food blog, but I blindly forged ahead and made Chocolate French Macarons from David Lebovitz's recipe.  I only wish I had taken photos so you can see how far I've come baby!.  Of course in between now and then, I've gone to culinary school, consumed dozens of real FRENCH macarons, and made them in some very fine pastry shops.
If you are struggling still to make the PERFECT French Macaron, there are tons of resources available.  Books!  Laduree and Pierre Herme both have great recipe books now.  Laduree's is now even available in English.  If you don't know French, google translate can help with Pierre's recipes.
Check out some blogs like Syrup and Tang, Mac Tweets, or even my good friend Kristen's blog Decorate This!

Maybe you've mastered the Macaron and you are ready to take it to the next level.  Here is what I've been doing lately.  I've been making Apricot macarons with basic orange colored shells (may have gone a little overboard on the coloring this time) and making a filling with fresh Apricot puree and White Chocolate.  When I fill the macarons, I put a little cube of fresh macaron right in the middle of the creme, and then place the top shell on to cover it.

Creamy Apricot Ganache and Juicy Apricot Morsels

Of course there are many ways of dressing up your Macarons.  Sprinkling seeds or ground nuts on top before baking.  Brushing with edible metallic dust after they have cooled, or sifting a bit of cocoa powder over top. The possibilities are endless and delicious!
I think these are quite Perfect!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

They look PERFECT to me (and delicious!!!!) Can't wait to make some together when you're back in the states (or when I'm in Paris :)) xox

Parisbreakfasts said...

WHERE are you?
I would take lessons just for the heck of it...I did Lenotre, the Ritz and another one in Paris. I am still not making macarons :(
Hmmm..