Friday, April 8, 2011

Kitchen Tour

 My French Refrigerator Poetry

A few months ago I saw an article online about the tiny apartment kitchens of professional chefs living in New York City.  By American standards the kitchens were rather small and not what you would expect a professional chef to have.  Many said they rarely even use their home kitchens, so the size wasn't too much of an issue for them.  One chef said the lack of storage space forced them to store things in their oven.  A full size oven!  What a luxury that would be for me!

You've heard my talk about the space challenges of my kitchen and even seen a few glimpses in my photos, but today I invite you on an official tour.  A few improvements have been made since I moved in permanently in November and I must say it is feeling quite like home.  I still have my dreams of space for a Kitchen Aid mixer and a real size oven, but I think am adapting quite well to my Paris kitchen. 

Come on in.......




It's very cozy...

 It gets nice light during the day

 
Remember this space below the window...    
              
Oven, Washer, Fridge and Freezer all in one space!

You have now made a complete turn and are facing the door out

The Bookshelf by the door holds some useful stuff.

Recycled Jam jars from work hold my baking staples

  What is a French kitchen without a good stock of wine?

This is the Stove, I'm not kidding
The inside of the microwave/oven



The sink is small too, but there are 2!

This is my "Plan du Travail" a board I put over one sink to give myself more work space


Back to that little space under the window
It's more storage space, traditionally used for storing veggies and things that need to be kept cold.
It has slats on the back side that allows air in from outside.  Great for extra fridge space during the winter months!
 
 Some of my knives

I can only reach the first shelf without a step stool.
Less frequently used items go on the very top shelf!

And the view is not too bad. 
"It's necessary to eat some chocolate souffle" 
 Well, at least it is in my kitchen. 

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my kitchen.  Check back soon to see some more of the delicious stuff I'm cooking up in here.  

A bientot!


5 comments:

IS Teacher said...

LOVE IT, JENNI!!!!

David said...

Hey, Jenni! Very cozy kitchen you have, there. It reminds me of the kitchen my father had at his flat in frankfurt.

Lilac Haven said...

I like it. I think it's cute!

Michelle Bennett said...

I am sure you still make amazing things happen in that tiny kitchen! At least you have a cool view and you are well organized :-) XO

Shruti said...

wow !! its great that you're adjusting. its cute ...love your blog ! happy baking ;-)