Thursday, October 14, 2010

Making Cakes & Moving Continents

 Le Metro

Coming home from Paris was tough.  Once again I had gotten adjusted to a certain lifestyle.  Walking everywhere, pretty efficient public transportation (except when there is a strike) delicious food, fabulous pastries, fun experiences.  However, this time was different because instead of saying goodbye, it was see you soon.

Laduree Pastries

You heard me right, see you soon!  Shortly after my arrival in Boston, I paid a visit to the French Consulate to apply for my visa.  I am moving to Paris in November!  So once again, I am in a fury of packing.  You would think that by now, I wouldn't have much left to pack, or I'd be better at this......except I may have a small addiction to kitchen utensils and things that tie me to my past.  I'm starting to consider renaming this blog, Jenni Does Desserts on the Go.  However, once I settle in Paris, I plan to stay put for a while. 

I seem to be making a lot of cakes since I got back.  Mostly birthday cakes, and my first Wedding cake!  
As an homage to Laduree, I made a lovely Fraisier cake for my Mom and sister who both celebrated birthdays in September.  I was a little late for their actual birthdays, but the cake was most appreciated.  My Mom has always loved Pistachios, so I knew the Laduree Fraisier with the Pistachio Mousseline was sure to be a hit. 
This cake was almost as challenging as the wedding cake, because I was using my sister's limited kitchen utensils.  I did not have an offset icing spatula or a torch to release the cake ring.   I did my best and my family was still amazed.  But isn't that what family is for?   I'll tell you more about the Wedding cake adventure in another post. It really deserves it's own post.

And now with the news of my leaving Boston, my friends are in a panic and asking for tasty treats that can be frozen and eaten long after I have left.  I might consider hosting a little bake sale again before I leave. Otherwise if you want a taste, you will just have to come to Paris. 
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you can finally say you'll be back for longer than a couple of months!! Here's to lots of baking in our futures.....

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you had an internship at La Durée! Congrats! I often go in just to gawk at the beautiful creations...